Photo of Julie A. Stephens

Indiana Paternity Lawyer

At Stephens Law Firm, P.C., in St. John, Indiana, I am committed to helping parents work through the complex issues associated with paternity. Often, establishing paternity is a stepping stone toward the resolution of another issue, such as child custody, child support, or inheritance.

Skilled Indiana Paternity Attorney

A paternity action takes place in the Juvenile Court system in Lake or Porter counties to determine the biological father of a child that is not born of a marriage. This proceeding is typically filed by the mother or the father. Another reason to file this type of action is to obtain an Order of custody, visitation, and child support.

Child Support:

Parents have a legal obligation to financially support their child. Once paternity is established, the Juvenile Court will calculate child support. This is based upon each parent’s gross income, whether a parent pays health insurance, day care expenses, child support for children from another marriage, and whether either parent has subsequent children.

Although child support is usually ordered on a weekly basis, it will more than likely be paid in accordance with the obligor’s pay schedule. This is the effect of a Wage Withholding Order.

The Court also calculates child support keeping in mind how often the non-custodial parent regularly visits with their child during overnight visits.

Child support is terminated at the age of 19. Yet, there are exceptions: if the Court finds that the child is incapacitated, child support can be extended past his or her 19th birthday or if the Court finds that the child is emancipated before the age of 19 child support can be terminated upon the Court’s finding of emancipation before the child’s 19th birthday. Even with a finding of emancipation, secondary education expenses can continue.


Custody, visitation and child support can be modified by a Court approved agreement or by Court order when there has been a substantial change of circumstances, pursuant to statute or for other reason that your attorney may explain after consultation.

Name Change:

If your child was given his or her mother’s last name on the birth certificate, you can request the Court to change or hyphenate your child’s name to include your last name as well at the Paternity hearing.

Contact Our Indiana Paternity Lawyer

If you have any questions about paternity, please contact the Indiana paternity lawyers at Stephens Law Firm, P.C.. Julie can be reached by phone at 219-682-0003 or by filling out the intake form on our Contact Us page.


Stephens Law Firm

Contact Us

Stephens Law Firm P C
Stephens Law Firm, P.C.
8051 Wicker Ave. Suite B
St. John, IN 46373

St. John Office
NAPW | National Association of Professional Women | The Power To Be You

Dear Julie A. Stephens,

I just wanted to say Thank You, for your patience and understanding. You handled my case with great care and empathy. I thank you for the words of encouragement and doing all you have done for me. May God continue to bless you, your family and your firm.

Dear Julie A. Stephens,

I just wanted to write to you and tell you how very much I appreciate everything you did for me. It was very nice to meet you and I wish the best to you as an Attorney.

Dear Julie A. Stephens,

Thanks you so much for all your hard work toward mine and xxx future. We appreciate you!