Juvenile Guardianships

Northwest Indiana, Juvenile Guardianship Attorney

At Stephens Law Firm, P.C., in St. John, Indiana, I am committed to helping clients handle juvenile guardianship matters. I have extensive experience working with guardians, children, and the courts to establish guardianships for minor children.

Experienced Indiana Juvenile Guardianship Lawyer

There are times when a minor child (under the age of 18) needs to be cared for by a person other than their mother or father. Indiana Law allows an adult to care for children that are not biologically their own by filing a Petition for Guardianship in the Juvenile Court. At the Hearing, you as the Petitioner will be prepared to advise the Court that it is in the child's best interests to live with you rather than with his or her parents.

If the child brings assets with them into the Guardianship, you will have additional responsibilities.

It is the duty of the Guardian to protect and preserve the Protected Person's property, to account for the use of the property faithfully and to perform all the duties required by law of a Guardian.

Guardianship funds should never be co-mingled with personal funds. A separate account for all guardianship assets must be kept in your name as Guardian. Accurate accounts must be kept and accurate reports made. Unauthorized use of guardianship funds may result in personal liability.

It is important to understand that the Guardian has the same duties and responsibilities concerning the Protected Person whether or not the Protected Person is a relative of the Guardian.

Contact An Indiana Juvenile Guardianship Lawyer

If you have any questions about juvenile guardianships, please contact the Indiana guardianship lawyer at Stephens Law Firm, P.C.. Julie can be reached by phone at 219-682-0003 or by filling out the intake form on our Contact Us page.